Being A Birthing Partner Written By My Mum

Being a birthing Partner written by my Mum:

In all honestly when both daughters said they wanted me at their births I was a bit dubious as I  am not a big fan of hospitals and was worried I wouldn’t cope! I had my mum at my own first birth ( Rosie) but I was on my own so that was understandable - Rosie had a husband so why did I need to be there!? I also am not a very patient person and so the thought of all those long hours was not something to look forward to! 
   Me and My Mum 

The experience couldn’t have been further from all those thoughts! 
From the moment my son came in to wake me up to tell me Rosie’s waters had broken I was excited beyond belief ( I was a bit tipsy as this had happened 5 weeks early and was not expecting a call!).
I think Jim appreciated me being there and it meant when he was tense he was able to get some ‘fresh air’!


All the hospital staff were lovely and accepting of ‘an extra’ in the room which made the job easier! Rosie was amazing as she must have been in shock suddenly having this baby, when she was transferred to Chi hospital I went home and caught up on some sleep ( sobered up!) and then went to the flat to get her some Pjs and clothes etc as she had nothing - I wasn’t very good at this bit as brought her My Little Pony pjs which apparently were not ok ! It was a fairly long wait for baby to arrive but Jim and I spent time looking round the room trying to get ideas for baby names which kept us amused! 

My Mums first Cuddle with Max 
Rosie is a very emotional person and so there were lots of tears ( change over of midwife shift) and laughter ( trying to wee when chained up to machines!) and at times it was hard to watch her in so much pain especially as I had been there and knew how it felt but I tried hard to reassure and encourage her ( she doesn’t remember much of that) she managed very well, one of the hardest things was watching Jim watch her, as you could see how out of control he felt and just felt hopeless as couldn’t stop the pain! 

Then baby was about to arrive, you say you’re gonna stay head end but excitement takes over, all I could hear was lots of hair ... so had to head that way! I was so anxious as he was early but seeing my grandson born was an amazing moment. I thought I would cry but I didn’t as was caught up in everyone else’s emotions ( I did later!) I couldn’t believe I considered not being there! So grateful for the opportunity xxx 

                 
First Peak of Max


Rosie here......


Having my mum as one of my birthing partners was never a question in my mind. I knew I wanted and needed her there.I did have a back up in case my mum really really didn't want to as I knew she wasn't keen on hospitals, which was my mums best friend.But I'm so glad my she was there she was a comfort to me and James and Like my mum said if James needed a break it meant that someone was always with me. Also my mum knew what I was going through and that helped me.I wouldn't of had it any other way.

         Next Blog Post Sharing My Wedding Planning Tips ❤    


Comments

MummyLavery said…
Lovely post and love that your mum gave her perspective! It's such a special and exciting time to share so it's lovely to hear it was a great experience for her too!

Popular posts from this blog

How Our Relationship Changed When We Had Max

The Big Mummy Blog Share : Team Stein Mummy

My Anxiety And Emotions After Having A Baby